When they interviewed me one day

I gathered lots of takeaways from the inspiring great leaders stories/sharing that I love as it gives a good meaning to me. It builds more confidence in me as Im more dynamic in managing a team with diverse background, competency level. I see my self being interviewed the same one day. Below would be my answers to them.

1. What makes a great leader?
- Passion in what you do which makes you believe in what you are doing. Passion makes you going & deliver your best despite the challenges you are facing.

2. What are commonly lacking in young leaders now from your observation?
- Humility is when you know what you know, and what you dont know. Acknowledging this is an advantage rather than a gap as it makes you self-aware of your strengths while  you make effort to filling up those gaps in you. The team appreciates you more as a leader who strives for self improvement & they will strive the same towards common goal. 
- Appreciation to a good teamwork is key as no leader is succesful from an individual effort. Younger generation prefers instant appreciation to their contribution. But they have to earn them. Provide support & coaching while stretching them to their limit. 
- Its the journey that enriches you as a Leader, not the destination. Thus, a long winding road may test your resilience & patience, but in the end it makes you a wiser leader, a matured person with a sharper judgement. 

3. How do you want people to see you as a leader?
- Inspiring leader where my team sees me as a role model. Even when I no longer holding a title, I wish to still earn their respect, being refered to and receive similar support even when I met them outside office. It is like an acid test if  I have successfully engaged them at personel level as a person, a friend, a sister, beyond them being my subordinate or my peer. 

4. How do you foresee yourself in the next 20 years career journey?
- I thought I wasnt ambitious, but I realized my career has been wonderful and I should capitalize the momentum I am in now in charting a better milestone ahead. My husband knew that I am someone who just enjoy what Im doing and he is my biggest critics and biggest supporter.
- In 3 years, Ill be on express learning on what strategic impact I can make in decision making, consideration to base my judgement, contacts to keep in future, great leaders to model, and do's and dont of people behaviour or leadership qualities. 
- Next 5 years, Ill aim to be posted at a Regional Hub heading Hub offices in Dubai or Istanbul or London. My foundation are from Planning, Recruitment and Remuneration. Industry Relation, employment regulations and Tax awareness are my balancing subjects which In strengthening now. Ill be involving in few M&A for the hub too. 
- Next 10 years, Ill be returning home when I settled down heading a small Division at Corporate Centre perhaps doing Talent Management, Education Learning or Talent Sourcing. I do see myself doing Remuneration, it has been a good learning ground for me.  
- Next 3 years with more good success under my belt, InsyaAllah Ill be playing an advisory role. I believe I can contribute based on my experience in Business. I may open up my own consultancy firm with great friends who think alike. The industry is booming and the network I made earlier will be relevant by then. This new role shall give me deeper job satisfaction as the flexibility to work, travel and juggle my bigger commitment as a wife and mother with growing teenagers at Home. Ill be more settled Financially as well InsyaAllah

5. What would you be if you are not doing what you do now in the Company?
- I found my passion in People. I may contribute in the same function in other Company. Smaller company is fine as it provides more focus, less protocol & frill which I find it better. The load is more chewable & I definitely maximize work-life balance. 
- If Im not in corporate world, Ill be doing serious art & craft work. I love beadwork which till today, I do have yearly beadwork projects for 2-3 pairs of my good kurung where I added the beads to enhance the look. Whenever I travel, I will buy fabrics & beads/sequine or laces. My favourite lace shop is at Naif Road Dubai. I also once bought good beaded laces by the roadside in New Delhi. In my student days, I did few paper art craft like photo book, frames & greeting cards. Now, this hobby has been elevated with more commercialized materials you can buy at your local stores. People make business out of it. So I do see myself having an online shoppe for my art & craft work. Its a fun activity with your kids too.

6. Who are your role model & how they have shaped you in person?
- I believe where I am today is the result of endless doa & Tahajjud from my Mother. Though she does not fully understand what I do in the office (despite million times explaining), I am grateful for having her blessing. 
- I was brought up under a traditional parenting style. My parents were school teachers, so I was raised under 'there's no free lunch', education is key & success derived from hard work. As a result, I see myself a hardworking person with strong work discipline although my husband called me an uptight person (smile). This applies at home too. Im very hands on with house work & I have my daily to-do- list. I have lazy days during weekends to catch up some rest & quality times with my family, but at the same time, Im productive clearing house chores. I have Home projects too with my husband. We look for gradual improvement to our house, which are in Phases. Its like re-painting project this year and built-in cabinet next year. Its a joint KPIs which we have it on our fridge. 
- I give credits to my arwah Ayah. I believe I inherit his leadership & work disciplines from him. He would be proud to see me as I mirror his qualities. And I hope I inculcate similar values to my children. As parents, we will not be with them forever, but we hope our teachings of hardwork, passion, humility and being appreciative would sustain them in their growing years. We are blessed with 2 boys. And Im being the only lady in the house, they always make me feel a beautiful wife and a lovable mom (smile). 

May my great mentors assist me in time in need. May Allah permudahkan my aspirations and He is where I seek guidance and aspiration from. May I gain support from my family who stand strongly behind my career. They are my foundation contributing to my future success, InsyaAllah. 


Comments

Popular Posts